In a time ripe for seeds of fear to grow, it is easy to feel powerless and go unconscious to how we can make a positive difference. Our hearts are cracked open as we witness the pain that others experience. Bombarded with the sea of social media posts, internet news and television programs our biological fear response is often activated without our conscious awareness. Once triggered, we are vulnerable to viewing the world through a very dark and guarded lens. It is these times we must remember that love is greater than fear. Love is a power beyond description and measure. It heals all wounds and calls us to seek compassion, mercy and forgiveness. Its’ capacity to mend, resolve and bring peace lets us know it is a divine, universal force of goodness.
Our most celebrated leaders, Nelson Mandela, Martin Luther King Jr, Mother Teresa, Gandhi, Desmond Tutu and Victor Frankl chose love over fear. We can follow their lead by turning our attention to our hearts and activating our endless reservoir of compassion. Now more than ever we are called to do our part in bringing love and healing to the world. This starts within our own communities, families and most importantly ourselves. As the season of thanksgiving, gratitude, generosity, love and peace begins we are given an opportunity to deepen our faith and spiritual practice.
When fear comes knocking at your door, send faith to answer. ~ Joyce Meyer
5 Ways to Choose Love Over Fear
- Be a force of healing and kindness in our own relationships with family, friends, partners and communities. Choose to release past hurts, forgive any grievances and let those around you know how much you love them.
- Communicate with love and compassion. In other words, if you find yourself wanting to complain, criticize, judge or gossip take a moment to breathe and choose love instead.
- Practice the Loving Kindness Meditation. One of the foundational Buddhist meditations for cultivating love, compassion and an open heart.
- Ask the questions; What would love do? What would the great spiritual masters do?
- Pray and meditate daily. Light a candle for peace, close your eyes and go within.
Hilary Stokes Ph.D. and Kim Ward Ph.D. have been a team for 20 years, specializing in mind, body, spirit psychology. They are the authors of the bestselling books The Happy Map: Your roadmap to the habit of happiness and Manifesting Mindset: The 6-step formula for attracting your goals and dreams and founders of Authenticity Associates Coaching and Counseling. They are passionate about combining the best of holistic and traditional approaches to health and happiness.